Welcome to the home of my Project 365. Not sure what that is? Photojojo has a pretty solid overview. In a nutshell, Project 365 is a way for an artist to grow and learn by committing to creating new art once a day, for a full year. It began with photography and has been adapted by other creative disciplines since. My 365 is photography.
What are the rules? There really is only one: post something original each day. Some methodologies call for carrying taking a processing a new photo each day and, I’ll admit that is probably the best use of the 365 project to force growth in a photographer. However, I have work and family constraints that make that scenario, if not impossible, highly unlikely. In addition, I have a huge back catalog of unprocessed images from the last five years of traveling the globe for work and fun. I need to find the best images of the bunch and assemble them as a portfolio.
With that in mind, here are the goals of my 365 project.
- One new image posted each day.
- Newly made images will have been processed and posted within the week they were shot.
- Initially, I am shooting for a 2:5 ratio of new:back catalog images. As the back catalog is cleared, the ratio will start to favor newly made images.
- As my initial focus is clearing my back catalog, new images will not be shot within subject themes (e.g. wildlife, portraiture) or technical constraints (e.g. 50mm, slow shutter).
- Once, the back catalog is cleared, I will start working on monthly, if not weekly, photographic theme designed to push me to do one or more of the following:
- Develop a new technical skill (e.g. strobes, sound/light triggers).
- Explore a new subject theme (e.g. astral bodies, pets, silhouettes).
- Fill a hole in my portfolio.
- Coming from video production, I reserve the right to use video projects as 365 posts. Video posts will fall within the same constraints listed above.
So, there you have it. I am looking forward to this journey. If you are a friend or new follower, I look forward to your comments and critiques of the photos I post.